Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Alzheimer's Shopping Tips

Shopping can be tiresome or fun for most people, but for those with AD it can become a worrisome situation full of fear and confusion.
Stores can be noisy, crowded and filled with audio and visual over stimulation. Tiredness can develop and have a negative impact on memory.

Schedule wisely. Determine the time of day when your loved one is most calm and agreeable. Established routines help make the day more predictable and less confusing.
Take more time. Expect things to take longer than they used to. Schedule more time to complete even simple tasks so that you don't need to hurry your loved one. Provide instructions one step at a time.
  • Shop on off times days and hours when stores are not so busy
  • Have your companion push the shopping cart - gives him something to hold on to and reduces separation anxiety.
  • Wear bright, distinctive clothing to help track both your movements.
  • Find a visible bench for him to rest on while you wait in the check out line.
  • Involve him in decision making - "would you like apples or bananas".
  • Try to make shopping trips something to look forward too - perhaps include a "lunch date"?
  • The smaller the store, the better !
  • Plan the trip to include stops at a very limited number of shops.
  • Stay together - no more "I'll meet you in Aisle 4 near the coffee grinder".
  • Do not leave your companion alone in the car to wait for you.

"Often I ask myself, What's the better of two evils? To stay at home alone and suffer the worry as to why my wife is so long shopping or to go with her and suffer all the added confusion and anxiety of the day?'
My family think they are being kind because they always get my shopping for me, but I would love to go out sometimes. I get very lonely at home on my own."

Today's web tip > > >
http://www.alzheimersforum.org/site/index.php